Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A scribe's duty



I do a scribe's duty and write what I know

I do a scribe's duty and write what I know
Fulfill my masters wishes of creating stories
I make no mistakes in capturing the moment
These pages are my worlds, my visions, my glories


History well recorded, acts as a guide
Fortunes and victories are remembered forever
Even a leaders mistakes and losses
May be used to piece bits of wisdom together


We passed the moment, and may not look back
Another day, another page well written
The memory may fade, the ink does not
This foul tasting apple has already been bitten


By a candle, moonlight or buzzing light
My work must go one, without interruption
Only the final darkness can stop me
I am not silenced by might nor by election


Some men are free, some women empowered
Some cities choose, while others abide
Most nations fall, today or tomorrow
No one can will these events aside


Children are taught to respect my writing
Teachers are paid to guard the books
To keep them pure, honest and true
Save them from soldiers, bankers and crooks


The scribe of the ages has seen it all
Witnessed the folly again and again
He has the burden of repeating the chore
Of committing the past to eternal domain


I plead you take seriously the counting
And take into life all the numbers that change
To make good use of the years gone by
Not a few hundred but the entire range




Shahbaz Ali-Khan
(dedicated to historians)








No comments: