Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Trial by combat




"I leave my fate in the hands of the gods... I demand a trial by combat!!"

You have pitted me against the ancient sermon,
Asked me to suffer what no man has done before
I must have surely been chosen at random,
For never had I asked to do this miserable chore

To walk with blisters under my feet
Under burning sun with skin dripping blood
To get no rest under these thorned sheet
I see no shelter to save me from this flood

Why was I not given a better weapon?
Not provided horse and ample saddle
Why are my wares so pitiful and wanton?
When even the wicked get a hoe and paddle

Here I am now, again, a muse of your court
Where monkeys preside to seal the fate of men
False kings watch me become common sport
Waiting to throw me in a deep putrid den

So I say stop this mockery and let me be
I have scars deep in the chambers of my heart
You are no messiah, nor any deity
You have not seen my life from its start

I leave my fate in the hands of the gods
And let them decide if I be man or rat
Cease these proceedings of uneven odds
I now demand a trial by combat

dedicated to the Mother of Dragons




No comments: