Monday, April 28, 2014

Goodbye winter .. an Ode

Winter, lovely winter, I shall miss thee
As I look at my warm clothing
I feel a little bit sad,
Winter has come, now it is leaving
And it’s been the best I've ever had


The snow had covered my footsteps
The ice had slowed me down
For where I was once hurried
I brisked around this town


I did not miss the green
Nor fear the mighty breeze
The numbing of my skin was a delight to me
I welcomed the daily freeze


No need to show my face
No need to pick my shirt
It was all covered in thickness
The kind that hides the dirt


Oh the joy of a world in white
Where the colors come from within
The birds just sing in their homes
The hunters commit fewer sins


The winter has always been my friend
A companion that stays besides me
In winter I can feel the air
In winter I can breath more freely


Now the summer sun will burn us
Its harsh light will blind
My skin will glisten all day
My nights will not be kind


Each step will be a labor
The walking man must endure
As I keep moving forward

I shall be loathe to open my door

Shahbaz Ali-Khan
(dedicated to the snowplowing workers of Montreal)

No comments: